Wednesday, March 12, 2008

High Tide


Well! My trip this week took my breath away and had me laughing as I took shot after shot. On lookers must have thought I was a little crazy. I guess I was. What made me so giddy? Mother Nature. http://www.longbeachphotosbc.ca


I headed across the island, no destination in mind, just letting my thoughts wander and enjoying the view as I drove. Unfortunately, there is no where to pull over for some of the more beautiful shots on the drive over.

The snow in the pass had a blue tinge to it as the sun shone through it. But wait, now the sun is gone and around the next corner is a torrential rain storm. The road is covered with water and I must be careful not to hydroplane. You have to keep your eyes on the road when it is like this. If I could tolerate other's driving, it would be nice to actually be able to look around on this drive.

The closer I got to the coast, the more my plan took effect. Last week I saw South Beach at low tide and was unable to get the effect I wanted where it looks like the waves will take you away. So, I thought I would try that at high tide.

I took only water shots this time. Mother Nature put on a show for me. I am awed by the power of the water. The small bay was alive with the roar of the ocean! The walls of water were pounding on rocks and then back on each other, churning up the stones off the beach.

I am using words here to describe something that is almost indescribable, so bear with me. As I sat and watched the phenomenon in front of me, I thought of Tolle and tried not to label anything, to just see the majesty. Can you do the same? Can you just look at the photo, hear the pounding of the water as it moves, pulling back from the beach, ripping the bottom from the earth and tossing the contents wildly into the surf. Can you feel the suction that is so intense it will cause a wall 15 feet high to collapse upon itself with such an effort, you can feel the ground shake? Can you feel the gush of wind as the breath is forced out of the wave when it collapses? Can you smell the mix of beach sand, sea salt and water? Can you feel the majesty in the moment?

When I sit here, it makes me realise how small my problems are in the big scheme of things. I let my mind empty and whatever comes in first is no doubt the most important and then I deal with that. The ocean is my ground. It puts my world in perspective. It gives me spiritual energy and as I took these photos, the energy overflowed in the form of laughter - over enjoyment - I just couldn't contain it.

I live here. I'm not on vacation.

See you next time.... Syl

No comments: