Saturday, March 22, 2008

Whale spouts



This weeks trip lead me across the mountains with no real goal in mind. I stopped in at the information booth to see if they could tell me about the Canso airplane that went down in 1945. She informed me that it is a protected site. So I guess you don't get to see it, but, while I was there, a man asked where he and his son could set up their camera and see whales. Now that's an idea.

I set up my camera on Lighthouse point and looked towards the channel. I remembered this time to have my glasses with me so I could see in the distance, it was a good thing. As you can see, in the distance, there is a whale spout. There were lots of them. I had to have people almost hold my head to point out the spouts. I took about 10 shots, but realized they really were too difficult to see.

For your viewing pleasure, I am directing you to Kennedy River. I find those pics need the story that goes along with them. http://www.longbeachphotosbc.ca (click on Kennedy River - top right corner)

If you have been to the coast, you will remember these rocks. You no doubt stopped and took pictures at the bend in the river where just the corner is filled with rock and the water has carved its way through it.

Generally, the water is about half way up the rock. The first batch of photos were taken when the water was as low as I have ever seen it. You could see all the beauty in the rock. The water carved its way out. Take a close look at the rock as you look through the first part of the pictures.

The second set of pics are when a storm had just run through. The water completely covered the rock. The river bed was filled with roaring water. Look at the photos and try to remember what rocks are beneath it.

The final shot is a tree that will remain until the next storm takes it away.

Mother Nature sure has put on some shows this year.

'til next time..... Syl

No comments: